Monday, August 13, 2012

Aftereffects: Zombie Therapy - Book Review


Title: Aftereffects: Zombie Therapy

Author: Zane Bradey

Released: Feb. 26, 2012

Print Length: 232 pages

File Size: 288 KB


Goodreads info here

Visit the author's website



Intriguing Twist to the Zombie Genre!


In Aftereffects: Zombie Therapy, author Zane Bradey provides a unique twist to the zombie genre. A cure is created and administered to the zombies, returning them to their normal human state. The only problem is, they can remember the things that happened and who they ate while they were zombies. That’s where Dr. Victor Frenzel comes in; he is a therapist who offers counseling to those who were infected. But Dr. Frenzel must battle his own issues as during the height of the zombie epidemic he watched in horror as the zombies ate his wife. Now with each new patient he takes on, he is left to wonder if they were one of the ones that consumer her while he was left watching helplessly. 

I have to admit at first I was a bit skeptical, as I don’t usually read zombie stories. They just don’t generally appeal to me. But I was intrigued by the fact that these zombies have been cured and that the story was going to be more about the psychological aspects of how to deal with what they have done as well as the good Doctor treating those that may have been responsible for his wife’s death.

Bradey managed to bring these aspects of the novel out wonderfully and I could feel the horror and disgust that some of the patients felt for the things they did while infected. I do wish there would have been a bit more character development with the patients even though this is more the doctor’s story than theirs. I felt it would have added to some of the scenes where the reader gets to see what happened when they were infected etc.

Another aspect that irked me a bit was the sudden end. I can’t really expand on it without giving away some major spoilers. It left a lot of questions and a bit of confusion as to what was going to happen next. At the time I didn’t realize there was a sequel in the works and couldn’t fathom why an author would end a story so open ended without one. The book felt incomplete with the ending and left me a bit frustrated, but that’s just me. I know lots of readers enjoy cliff hangers, especially when there is a sequel as it lets them imagine all sorts of things while they wait.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book and I will definitely be reading the next installment.

Buy here:


No comments:

Post a Comment